Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Strong4Life ads too much? I don't think so.

Unless you live under a very large rock, you have no doubt heard of or have seen the ads. They are on billboards everywhere here in Georgia. My first reaction was heart break. However...it wasn't becasue an overweight child's face was plastered 100 feet up in the air large enough to be seen from space. It was because the child was fat to begin with and someone finally paid attention to the urgency of this issue. You see overweight kids all the time. The number is atonishing at the schools of my three children. I have heard some try to categorize the "fatness factor" into age groups based on how much physical activity these groups may be getting. Now, my children represent every school age. I have one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school. And I gotta tell ya...seeing this in real life is incredibly sad. I would have thought that as a child grows and matures, the baby fat would just kind of melt off. But no. Some of the fattest and unhealthy lot of them are in high school! Families are just not getting the message. You don't have to be an athlete to be healthy. You just have to do SOMETHING...that something can start with not buying and eating crap. And I'm sorry folks....but not every person on the face of the planet that is obese has a gland issue. Its mathematically impossible. YOU. ARE. EATING. TOO. MUCH. You are allowing your children to eat too much. Its tatamount to child abuse in my opinion. Granted...I don't think a parent should have social services step in and work their special brand of putrified magic. We all know how limp and useless they can be. But something MUST be done. That is why I am 100% in support of this campaign. What other option should we...as a concerned community...do about this epidemic of dollar menus and super sized sodas? How else can we combat the Twinkies, sugary cerals, Yoo-Hoo's and Moon Pies? Admittedly....I think in this generation of CGI and super cool effects...they could have "created" obese children. I am not a proponent of embarrassing our babies into making batter food choices. But I am absolutely a HUGE proponent of embarrassing the crap out their parents! How dare you bring a child into this world and allow their health to suffer so willingly. And if its not willingly....then you are even more of an asshat; because that means you are an absent parent who chooses to be blind to the plight of your child. And I have a problem with you. So poo-poo these ads and billboards all you wish. Perhaps the dialogue that has started can prevent just one of our nation's Little Debbies from actually turning into one. http://strong4life.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment