Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish eyes are a' smilin'....right?

   Oh my Irish Lord. Its happened again. Spring is the time of renewal and rebirth. And my house has seen fit to take this change literally. Every year...a week after my birthday...which is St. Patrick's Day...my family endures some kind of home related mishap. Whether it be a dishwasher leak that floods the house, a tree bigger than the Cliffs of Moher slamming into our existence, the need for not one but TWO septic tanks to be outfitted in our front and side yards because we are in fact THAT full of shit. Or perhaps its a toilet tank that decides to stop working and floods the ENTIRE upstairs of our home with water...which happens to be the latest in the litany of Irish disasters to befall our humble abode.

   What in the name of all things GREEN is going on? Picture this: when stressed and stretched beyond all reasonable expectations, I cry. Boldly, unabashedly, and with little regard to whom may encounter my display of Irish pissiness. I am awakened this morning by my nine year old son walking...very calmly mind you...into our room to inform us that "Hey guys, just to let you know, the carpet is WAY wet outside the bathroom up here. No biggie though. Go back to sleep." Well...Jesse...my adoring husband...springs into action(like the Irish one:) and proceeds to check out the issue. Not quite 10 seconds later I hear "^%^%$#%^%&^*&(()_()*(&*^*^&*^&^$%$!!!!!!" And so began my 2 hour tear fest. I knew this was not to be our usual Saturday morn.

   Upon closer and cussier inspection, our ENTIRE top floor was drenched. Carpet was soaked and closets were in the process of flooding. Water was collecting in the ceiling in the kitchen, which is directly below the bathroom in question. My beloved kitchen chandelier was FULL...and I do mean FULL...of water. There was a perfect outline of the bathroom floor on the kitchen ceiling. Water had infiltrated the walls in the kitchen...flowing ever so gently into The Spy's office in the basement. Chaos. Total and complete chaos. We were straight up cursing in tongues y'all...no lie.

   So...we called our insurance company for yet ANOTHER claim. They sent out Justin from Service Pro. Lovely lovely man. He pulled up carpet, bathroom tile, base boards...he took care of the issues at hand. Since we are no strangers to the huge industrial dryers they install for water related claims...we knew what to expect: NOISE. unadulterated, mind numbing, make-ya-wanna-kick-a-puppy NOISE. We got it. Its great. Its 4 days of great in fact. But then begins the infestation of contractors to lay new carpet, tile, paint the kitchen...possibly put up a new wall in the kitchen if it fails to dry out properly. Did I mention that I opened up my best bottle of Rothschild at noon today? I so did. And it was GOOD. Very. Very. GOOD.

   Now we are left with bare sub flooring, water stained ceilings and walls and the inescapable notion that maybe...JUST maybe...this is God's way of taking care of us.

   You see...we have been stressing out...well ok, I have been stressing out...over the fact that we were going to have to use my husband's bonus to pay for routine upkeep and maitanence of our home to ready it for sale. Losing ANY portion of that bonus would have meant losing a down payment on a new home. It would have meant that our daughter would have to wait on getting her first car. It would have meant a lot of little things that would then add up to a lot of bigger things. So perhaps God has allowed our home to stick to its regularly scheduled programming of FUBARING us in the butt so that we could keep that bonus for what HE deems necessary. My husband...GOD love him...is very adept at seeing the bigger picture. He pointed this subtle nuance out to me. I pray that yes... Yes indeed Jesus is shining down on us in ways we cannot possibly fathom while in the middle of stress and strife. I pray that my hormonal...freak first ask questions later...mentality is just giving my Savior a chuckle.

   A big fat gut busting chuckle. From my mouth to your ear God. For. Realz.

No comments:

Post a Comment