Thursday, April 19, 2012

Never forgotten...ever...


      I  WAS sitting at my desk working. I WAS accomplishing something other than creating pools of tears on my keyboard. I was. Until that is, I had the incredibly STUPID idea to turn on the news. This is something I rarely do. Sure...I will go online and read the blurbs and articles I choose to read...pieces that broaden my global knowledge...pieces that add to my life...pieces that teach me something or enlighten me and my family's journey on this jacked-up-chunk-o-rock we call Earth.

   Then I read the story of Etan Patz. Etan IS a little boy...not WAS...but IS...because regardless of what some demented evil scum did to him...he will always and forever remain a six year old boy to his parents. Etan was taken, just steps from his bus stop on a damp Manhattan morning in 1979. His disappearance spear-headed the Kid-On-A-Milk-Carton movement. His precious face lead the charge for millions of  other faces...forever a breakfast companion...forever in the back of, at least, my mind.

   Today in Manhattan...in what I am sure is a building that has seen dozens of rebirths and renewals in an attempt to change with the times and current styles...the FBI and local authorities are searching yet again for the body of Eatn Patz. His body...and memory...was robbed of seeing such change. I am unsure of what new lead they think they have. I am unsure if after all these years they will find even the smallest shred of evidence. But I am sure that the search in and of itself is what matters most. It matters to Etan's parents and siblings that every lead be followed; every whisper be heard.

   I truly feel in my soul that the long suspected and well known pedophile, Jose Antonio Ramos, is the satanic son-of-a-bitch responsible for the vanishing...and likely violent rape and murder...of sweet Etan. There are even theories that he "sold" Etan to other pedophiles. But due to his constant denial of full knowledge, I doubt very seriously that he will ever divulge what he did to Etan and continues to do to the Patz family. What has become a mind numbing reality and horrific nightmare for them is nothing but a sick game to Ramos.

   My tears flow not only in honor of Etan but also out of painful respect for his family. And...for my own children as well. I cannot fathom what soul crushing pain is like. But I do know that for me, that pain would be instantaneous and never ending if anything even remotely similar were to befall my child . I imagine I would become very fixated on revenge. I imagine that I would have a very difficult time acting in a fashion that would make Jesus proud. Most especially if I ever got my hands on the demon responsible.

   I don't consider myself a vengeful or dangerous person. But I can see me...and only if my husband didn't beat me to it...taking the law into my own hands. And doing so with a smile on my face. What our justice system does not TO...but FOR...these douche bags is very rarely acceptable. I say FOR because so often it seems they are slapped on the hand as if they have stolen a cookie rather than stolen the innocence of a child. When it comes to children, mercy and leniency should be taken off the table. I am very aware of the horrific historical connotations hangings have...and rightfully so. But for those who choose to hurt a child, a public hanging is in order. Wasting our already cash strapped resources on rehabilitation is pointless for the sickos who force themselves on our children....who torture them...who make them do things that will haunt them for the rest of their days. IF that is, they even survive the trauma.

   I pray that some resolution comes of today's events. I pray that Etan Patz will not only be the face on a milk carton...but that he will  also be the face of all of our children. Rest peacefully sweet Etan.

No comments:

Post a Comment